Friday, January 10, 2014

Chapter 2: Gifts needed by an abbot or abbess (paragraph 2)


However, it is also true that, if the flock has been unruly and disobedient and the superiors have done everything possible as shepherd to cure their vicious ways, then they will be absolved in the judgement of God and may say with the psalmist: I have not hidden my teaching in your heart; I have proclaimed your truth and the salvation you offer, but they despised and rejected me. (From para. 2 of Ch. 2 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

As Mother Theresa would say: Be kind anyway.

2 comments:

  1. You have made me to your image and likeness, Abba. The early Christians exuberantly proclaimed that You, my God, in Jesus, became man so that I might become You: yes, that I might become God. Today You invite me to become, therefore, like You, an “Abba”, an “abbot” or “abbess”, to those in my family and community for whom I have any responsibility. You invite me to lead, like You, first of all, from my heart, with compassionate love and merciful forgiveness

    ReplyDelete
  2. “Let the Abbess always bear in mind that at the Judgement of God there will be an examination of these two matters: her teaching and the obedience of her disciples.” This passage reminds me of the impact of my words to the people I meet, live and work with. Thus, I should be careful with every word I utter lest it negatively affect or worst destroy them.

    ReplyDelete