Monday, February 17, 2014

Chapter 14: The celebration of Vigils on feasts of saints


On the feasts of saints and on all other solemnities Vigils should follow the order laid down for the celebration of Sunday except that the psalms, antiphons and readings that are appropriate to the day should be recited; the order of the liturgy itself remains the same as that described for Sunday. (Ch. 14 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

My grasp of the "communion of saints" has grown and deepened and become personal, with my experience of being one in silence.

2 comments:

  1. “I suppose the most difficult thing any of us find to put up with is our own stupidity. Don’t be disheartened, because what St. Benedict constantly urges us to do is to begin, to start again. . . . It is the gentleness of the Rule that I think is perhaps its most important characteristic for you as oblates.” (John Main, “Community of Love” p51). I need all the help I can get to put up with my own stupidity and ego-centered over-reactions. The gentleness of the Rule with its frequent return to prayer helps, when I become that little child again and let it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Blessed is the woman who perseveres in temptation, for when she has been proved she will receive the crown of life that he promised to those who love him."(James 1:12). Benedict 's placement of the feast of the saints in the Rule allows me to "see" those who have gone before me not in the light of perfection but in the light of persevering love.

    ReplyDelete