Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Chapter 9: The number of psalms at the night office


During the winter season the office of Vigils begins with this verse recited three times; Lord, open my lips and my mouth will declare your praise. (From para.1 of Ch. 9 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

Chapter 7, on humility, had so much to say about the use of speech and silence. Interestingly, the verse Benedict mentions here, invoking God to open my lips to declare his praise, resounds to my ears with the soundless drama of creation, or a new cosmic birth in the midst of a cold and silent winter night. Listen!, Benedict says to me: The mouth hums with the the song of the Spirit.

2 comments:

  1. In my pre-teens the "Daily Divine Office" in our family was Rosary, led by my mother. Every day she commenced with; "Thou O Lord shall open my lips". We replied, "And my tongue shall announce Thy praise" (a la Benedict). Immediately she followed with; "Incline unto my aid O Lord" to which we answered, "O God make haste to help me" (Cassian). Only now, sixty or so years later am I beginning to realize the wonderful gift I received from her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Rule challenges me to make the psalms and readings of the Divine Office part of my life. Much like the mantra once did, the prospect intimidates me. Today, however, I begin my day with Morning Prayer (Lauds) and the Office of Readings and am amazed by how my intimidation vanishes. Once more a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. In this small way I join in the Christian monastic "work of prayer", as Benedict describes it, and feel more than ever joined to my brothers and sisters in this worldwide monastery without walls.

    ReplyDelete