Saturday, February 8, 2014

Chapter 7: The value of humility (paragraph 18)


We should speak gently and seriously with words that are weighty and restrained. We should be brief and reasonable in whatever we have to say and not raise our voices to insist on our own opinions. (From para. 18 of Ch. 7 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

On reflection, I'm awestruck by how much of Benedict's teaching on humility has to do with speech. Good speech emerges from holy silence like right action from contemplation.

2 comments:

  1. Two little words are destined to keep me in everlasting ignorance and depressive loneliness. Those two words are “I know”. My opinionated ego, through those monkeys in my mind, chatters away insistently, “I know, I know”. I defensively say the same to a loved one who tries to explain something to me. All the while I really do not know what I am talking about, let alone what the other person is. Most sadly, Abba, I do not listen to you or begin to understand the depths of your love for me. By your grace, the stillness and silence of meditation and the simplicity of the mantra heal me. I learn how to ignore my inner chatterbox. I begin to know the peace of the cloud of unknowing. I become teachable, lovable, open to love and relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In 3 chapters on humility, Benedict dwells on what comes out of my mouth in speech and laughter. What emerges from my mouth can be noisy adding to the chaotic din of this world that pits people against each other with put downs and self-inflating, hateful arrogance. Or (and that is the word that opens me to choosing at that very moment) I can cultivate gentleness, and peace through really listening and being aware of the other(Other?) present at this moment in time as if there will not be another.

    ReplyDelete