Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Chapter 20: The ideal of true reverence in prayer


We must really be quite clear that our prayer will be heard, not because of the eloquence and length of all we have to say, but because of the heartfelt repentance and openness of our hearts to the Lord whom we approach. (From Ch. 20 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

And so does meditation teach me to be humble and open. But what I am also learning is the power of intercessory prayer -- of saying clearly and intentionally, to those I trust, how I need to be held in prayer. In this way I discover another communal aspect of prayer -- the prayer of sharing each other's burdens.

1 comment:

  1. “Above all, in our prayer we are not trying to possess or to change God. If we are trying to do anything it is to be one with God who is.” (John Main, “Door to Silence”, Kindle loc697). Again, Abba, you call me to the “irreverent” reverence of a child, who boldly jumps into their Father’s arms and comfortably curls up there.

    ReplyDelete