Monday, February 16, 2015

Chapter 13: Lauds on ordinary days (paragraph 2)


It is important that the celebration of Lauds and Vespers should never be concluded without the recitation by the superior of the whole of the Lord's prayer so that all may hear and attend to it. This is because of the harm that is often done in a community by the thorns of conflict which can arise. Bound by the very word of that prayer 'forgive us as we also forgive' they will be cleansed from the stain of such evil. (From para. 2 of Ch. 13 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

Seeing another's point of view, compassion, selflessness -- these, for me, are some of the rigorous components of forgiveness. Forgiveness is made especially hard when the weaknesses of my own ego still want to wreak havoc in a situation. And, at the same time, I certainly have more to learn about setting healthy boundaries in problematic relationships.  But these rigorous ingredients of forgiveness, as well as transformation of the ego, are something I could never concoct on my own -- they are fruits of meditation.

2 comments:

  1. "so that all may hear and attend to it," means that I may hear and attend to the Lord's Prayer and not wait for someone else to come to me first in forgiving. It means for me a lot more too. These words are present time words. This forgiveness is a right now thing. I cannot stay trapped in the past with resentment and bitterness. Get on with life-with something new-let love grow in the moment-forget the ego who loves to lick its wounds and separate the self. Rather look to Christ and the leper in Sunday's Gospel. Let Christ's love which is indiscriminate, heal the unclean parts of my self, so that which was separated by resentment, bitterness, and selfishness can be brought together. This healing has to take place in me, with full knowledge of what is my responsibility, and with whole hearted commitment to make things whole again. So that I can say I have heard and am attending to it, now and not tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. “ . . . thorns of contention are likely to spring up.” Benedict is talking about, in other words, resentments. Men and women in recovery call resentments the “number one offender”, with fatal consequences. The Rule’s remedy is communal praying of the Lord’s Prayer with its pledge we make to one another: “Forgive us as we forgive.” Forgiveness means, of course, giving up all hope of changing the past. The mantra helps. It can return me to the now, the present moment, setting aside regret and desire, and resting in hope.

    ReplyDelete