Sunday, February 1, 2015

Chapter 7: The value of humility (paragraphs 10-11)


The fourth step of humility is to go even further than this by readily accepting in patient and silent endurance, without thought of giving up or avoiding the issue, any hard and demanding things that may come our way in the course of that obedience, even if they include harsh impositions which are unjust. (From para. 10 of Ch. 7 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

I can't accept that this means I should allow myself to become prey to another person's malevolent ego. But the central teaching that I see in Benedict's words is that I remain faithful to the "course of obedience" --  that I pierce through my own illusions and desire to control, that I grasp what is, that I know that I am lovable because I am loved by God, and that together we can forge diamonds from what is rough.

3 comments:

  1. “ANTIPHON. The most wonderful moment of the day is that when creation in its innocence asks permission to ‘be’ once again, as it did on the first morning that ever was.” (Thomas Merton, “A Book of Hours”, Sunday, Dawn p45). Listening to those responsible for me and to me is not always easy. But that is what obedience means. Merton’s poetry reminds me that that is the beauty Benedict invites me to, too. All creation at every moment asks permission to “be”. Can I do less?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Humility is ... patience with a silent mind. Oh my, am a person who always fall short of patience. And here comes another challenge, ...a silent mind. I am a long way to go. But I am happy I started and each time I am always starting with meditation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "To go even further than" the third step which is being obedient to another? What are you asking of me, Benedict? I am quite content just struggling with the 3 steps you have outlined. Now I am to "accept" with silent endurance and patience "harsh" and "unjust" impositions. You are taking me out of my comfort zone. It is at this juncture that I begin to realize that God is expanding me and my ability to love even under the most difficult circumstances. When I can accept what God in His "extravagant" love is providing for me, an opportunity to go beyond my expectations, to be truly compassionate, free and responsible, than I come to a deep inner and loving peace. It is in the heart of meditation that the acceptance is born with the poverty of the mantra that expects nothing.

    ReplyDelete