Monday, February 9, 2015

Chapter 7: The value of humility (paragraphs 19-20)


The humility of their hearts should be apparent by their bodily movements to all who see them. [...] Good habit and delight in virtue will carry us along. (From paras. 19-20 of Ch. 7 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

Just as stillness is a sacrament of presence, so is movement an emanation of the quality of my heart. What happens when I stop hurrying, or pay attention to the routine task in my hands, or take time to embrace another in greeting? What happens when I look upon "physical fitness" as a fitness to be ready to serve? Good habit, primarily the practice of meditation, integrates my heart and body, and carries me along delightfully.

2 comments:

  1. Somehow these words bring to my mind definitions of humility happily complimentary to Benedict’s citation of the “prayer that Jesus approved”, that of the publican: namely Thomas Acquinas’ definition and Therese of Lisieux' “Story of a Soul”. St. Thomas defines humility as “a proper estimate of one’s own excellence”. St. Therese describes it as I think John Main would: growing to become and enjoy being, the excellent, beautiful, alive thing the Divine Artist, the Divine Landscape Architect, intends me to be, whether a daffodil or the tiniest wildflower or a giant Sequoia. Thank you, again, Abba, Great Artist, for inviting me once more to make art with you today, to co-create the unique art piece that is Wally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My inner life of prayer and my outer life in family and community, that means, my heart and physical body, need to be integrated and unified. I see what Benedict is asking of me in this step of humility in the words of the psalmist(Ps.131)"...my heart is not proud, nor haughty my eyes." And again, "...I have set my soul in silence and peace," as a child resting in the arms of God. Just as in meditation I come before God unable to claim or cling to anything I am before the world in the same way. Just as God receives me in unconditional love so I receive the world. Watch children. They do not care about distinctions, titles, occupations, or the like. They just want to be loved and acknowledged. If I go about with the desire to love all and exclude no one, it will be reflected in my mannerisms and actions.

    ReplyDelete