Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Chapter 9: The number of psalms at the night office

During this winter season the office of vigils begins with this verse recited three times; Lord, open my lips and my mouth will declare your praise. (From Ch. 9 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry OSB, 1997.)

After so many passages in the chapter on humility counseling me to guard my silence, my speech and my laughter, St. Benedict calls upon me figuratively, to arise, to emerge -- in the darkest part of the day, and the coldest part of the year -- and to ask God to open my mouth, like I am being newly born into a universe of praise.

2 comments:

  1. These chapters on the order and number of psalms and other components of the office used to be the most dry and boring parts of the Rule for me, but recently I feel God is beginning to let me see them in a new light. Benedict's care and reverence for times of prayer as reflected in this and other similar chapters reminds me that I too must approach each time of meditation with the same care and reverence, that I need to resist the sometimes urge I feel to rush through it, and that I need to respect the regularity of my practice when I am tempted to put it off (without good reason).

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was a child, more than 60 years ago my mother led the family rosary every evening. She opened the praying with two short prayers. "Thou O Lord shall open my lips and my tongue shall announce Thy praise" and "Incline unto my aid O God, O Lord make haste to help me" (the translation she used and still used in the parish church by the rosary group each day).
    To this day as I settle down to begin morning meditation those words are the first that I say. My mother was influenced by Saint Benedict without knowing it. As an oblate today I am grateful for the result of that early practice in my prayer life.

    ReplyDelete