Thursday, February 5, 2015

Chapter 7: The value of humility (paragraph 15)


The eighth step of humility teaches us to do nothing which goes beyond what is approved and encouraged by the common rule of the monastery and the example of our seniors. (Para. 8 of Ch. 7 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

This has the sound of a regulation that prohibits personal initiative, an important quality in "personal empowerment" and other values of our culture. But as I consider Benedict's teaching, I realize that personal initiative is not the point. Benedict is talking about my respect of tradition and the guidance of elders, until my heart is selfless enough to embrace the community (and all of creation) in my actions, and not just look out for myself.

3 comments:

  1. “Do nothing” does not mean to “do nothing”, “do no thing—become a bump on a log”. The Rule goes on with that important qualifier, “except what is sanctioned by the common rule of the monastery and the example of the elders.” That leaves me with a world of things I can do, I GET to do. I can begin by learning all I can about the rule as understood by elders whom I most admire, like Joan Chittister and John Main and Laurence Freeman. Benedict himself, in writing this rule, and John Main, in rediscovering the mantra, are prime examples of lives lived challenging the status quo. Abba, Spirit of Love, teach me how to love—how to DO-- today, wisely and well, with all that I am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Humility means following the rules of the monastery and the examples of the elders. My monastery is the place where I am right now. My elders at the moment are my spiritual teachers and that include Thomas Merton and Mister Eckhart. In other words, I have to follow the will of God not the will of my ego.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just reflecting on this step of the Rule brings the point of this chapter home to me. I would rather skip this step entirely because I do not have a great reflection to make. I would rather go on to another step because I read something or have a statement to make. Stay on the ladder and follow each step. Do not skip, I am being told. It is the ego which demands its own way. I am "encouraged" to follow the Benedictine rule and this chapter rather than look for an easy way out and become my own rule. My ego cannot teach me about humility, and selflessness when it has its own existence at stake. This is the reason I need others, the community and elders, to humble me.

    ReplyDelete