Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Chapter 7: The value of humility (paragraph 14)


I was raised up high in honour, but then I was humbled and overwhelmed with confusion. In the end we may learn to say: it was good for me, Lord, that you humbled me so that I might learn your precepts. (From para. 14 of Ch.7 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

I shouldn't be surprised that confusion can come with transformation. That confusion can result when my ego gets jolted by reality, if I'm sincere about wanting to be alive in God. I shouldn't be surprised that confusion can be a sign of the possibility for growth, when my own dreams and illusions get knocked down, and space opens up for love and light.

2 comments:

  1. "It is good for me that you have humbled me that I may learn your commandments.". How easy it is to forget your precepts oh Lord during the times of plenty, during times of acclaim. Yet how strong is Your presence during the time of want, in times of nothingness. Yet I am too weak to desire nothingness. Lord please make my weakness Your strength.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In a previous reading of the Rule, Benedict compares me to a "beast." In this 7th step of humility, he gives me the image of the lowly "worm." I take heart in this image because like the worm I am brought down to the very ground(no pun intended) of my being. Humility takes its root from the Latin "humus" meaning "earth", "ground". Like the worm who in its lowly state makes the soil rich by its actions and does not look for or desire any higher level because it cannot, I can also by my actions and acceptance of my lowly state enrich my life and consequently those around me. As always, it is the image of Christ,who did not "deem equality with God as something to be grasped at," but instead was "scorned and despised." whom I imitate. And the commandment or precept that I am being taught is "love", wild and extravagant and self-giving love that does not look beyond into an illusory world but sees who and what is right here and now before me.

    ReplyDelete