Friday, January 12, 2018

Chapter 2: Gifts needed by an abbot or abbess (paragraph 4)


[The abbot or abbess] should not select for special treatment any individual in the monastery. They should not love one more than another unless it is for good observance of the Rule and obedience. (From para. 4 of Ch. 2 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

In my life, I see that it's not wise to give special treatment to anyone in a group. But, I also see, and welcome, times of special resonance with another, a unique spiritual friendship. May I learn to respond in a balanced way to both these situations, with the priority of seeing that of God in everyone.

1 comment:

  1. "Only for one reason are we preferred in His sight:if we be found better than others in good works and humility." Such a great emphasis on good works and humility. The more I strive to do good, the humble I should become.

    ReplyDelete