Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Prologue to The Rule (paragraph 3)


Let us open our eyes to the light that can change us into the likeness of God. (From para. 3 of The Prologue to The Rule from Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

St Benedict is telling me nothing less than there is a light that can change me, change us, into the likeness of God! For me, this light is the mantra, a sound so silent that it is a focussed beam of attention leading me away from self-centeredness to the Other. In this way I find the light to see reality beyond my ideas about reality.

1 comment:

  1. "Now is the hour for us to rise from sleep" (Rom. 13:11). I feel like my divine nature has been half asleep due to the many temporal concerns. Thus, the invitation to wake up, deepen my practice and return to the beauty of divine silence.

    ReplyDelete