Saturday, January 13, 2018

Chapter 2: Gifts needed by an abbot or abbess (paragraphs 5-6)


They should make their own the different ways of teaching which the Apostle Paul recommended to Timothy when he told him to make use of criticism, of entreaty and of rebuke. Thus in adapting to changing circumstances they should use now the encouragement of a loving parent and now the threats of a harsh disciplinarian. (From  para. 5 of Ch. 2 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

Paul's list of teaching styles doesn't seem spot on for me. Even taking into consideration the necessity at times for "tough love", it seems to me that "criticism, entreaty, rebuke" could easily reflect my impulse for control more than respect for the other. Control can even take the guise of love. I think that what will lead me to appropriate responses is a habit of deep listening.

1 comment:

  1. "what she is and what she is called,
    and should know that to whom more is committed, from her more is required." As I don't exactly know the measure, I leave everything to the infinite love and wisdom of God. What I pray for is to live moment to moment with every breath as a cycle of my mantra...a cycle of divine offering.

    ReplyDelete