Thursday, January 4, 2018

Prologue to The Rule (paragraph 5)


And so to prepare ourselves for the journey before us let us renew our faith and set ourselves high standards by which to lead our lives. [...] Such a follower of Christ lives in reverence of him and does not take the credit for a good life but believing that all the good we do comes from the Lord, gives him the credit and thanksgiving for what his gift brings about in our hearts. (From para. 5 of The Prologue to The Rule of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

I often remember Fr John's description of a monk as "organizing life around an utterly clear priority".  About that utterly clear priority, which in my life is the practice of meditation,  Fr John's has also reminded me that my meditation isn't "my" mediation at all. It's simply a resting in the Lord. So my utterly clear priority directs me to a place of renewal and reverence and thanksgiving.

1 comment:

  1. "Not to us, O Lord, not to us,
    but to Your name give the glory" All that I do, all that I have, all that I am are the Lord's. It is just but proper that awake or asleep, in silence and in speech I give glory to you my Lord.

    ReplyDelete