Thursday, January 25, 2018

Chapter 7: The value of humility (paragraphs 1-3)


It is just such an exchange that we need to establish in our own lives, but with this difference for us: our proud attempts at upward climbing will really bring us down, whereas to step downwards in humility is the way to lift our spirit up towards God. (From para. 1 of Ch. 7 of St. Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

This is a workout for my ego -- not one that strengthens it, but one that would soften it. A blow to my pride, or a step up from my own self preoccupations, create conditions for me to move beyond my limitations, to find my true place in the Spirit.

1 comment:

  1. "we descend by self-exaltation and ascend by humility." Amen to this reminder... every moment every breath of my life.

    ReplyDelete