Thursday, August 2, 2012

Chapter 51: Those on local errands or work


Any who are sent on an errand which will allow them to return to the monastery on the same day must not eat outside, in spite of pressing invitations whatever their source, unless the superior has approved this.
(From Ch. 52 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry OSB, 1997.)

Meditation has made me more keenly aware of those activities which deaden my energy: trolling on the internet, working at a task grudgingly, and so on. Meditation has also taught me that seeking God is a full-time practice of loving fidelity; that's what transformation of consciousness is about.

1 comment:

  1. "A Brother who is sent out on some business and is expected to return to the monastery that same day shall not presume to eat while he is out..."

    My primary source of spiritual nourishment is my community.

    ReplyDelete