Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Chapter 55: Clothing and footwear for the community (paragraphs 3-4)


The superior ought to inspect the beds at regular intervals to see that private possessions are not being hoarded there. 
(From para. 3 of Ch. 55 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry OSB, 1997.)

As a mom, checking in, under, and around beds for hidden contraband has not been one of my favorite responsibilities. Perhaps the discomfort I feel comes from knowing I'll find something I'd rather not see, as well as knowing I've got a bit of the hoarder inside me, too. How often have I wanted the best, the first, the last, of something? My ego tries to feel gratified that way, and secure. But the mantra leads me away from the false reassurances of hoarding, to poverty of spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment