Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Chapter 60: The admission of priests into the monastery


An ordained priest who asks to be received into the monastery should not be accepted too quickly. If, however, he shows real perseverance in his request, he must understand that, if accepted, he will be bound to observe the full discipline of the Rule and may expect no relaxations. He will have to face up to the scriptural question: friend what have you come here for?
(From para. 1 of Ch. 60 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry OSB, 1997.)

As I see it, St. Benedict is concerned about establishing order in the community to create the best conditions for seeking God, and this order excludes anyone getting special privileges. Do I give my ego a privileged place in my life? Or do I grow in humility and wisdom, in order to be able to answer the question, What have I come here for?

1 comment:

  1. In meditation, we are all equal. A priest is no closer to God (or further away) than a lay person. We must not fall victim to the "I'm not good enough for this" mentality.

    ReplyDelete