Thursday, August 23, 2012

Chapter 65: The prior or prioress of the monastery (paragraphs 2-3)


We have no doubt, therefore, that it is best in the interests of preserving peace and charity that the authority for the whole administration of the monastery should rest with the abbot or abbess. 
(From para. 2 of Ch. 65 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry OSB, 1997.)

For preserving peace and charity within myself, especially on those days when I would be in conflict with myself or give in to powerful moods, I would do well to return to the experience of the one true authority in my heart.

1 comment:

  1. This reading of the Rule also goes on to say, that the abbot, "with the advice of God-fearing brothers, choose the man he wants and himself make him his prior." Today on the feast of Bartholomew,the Apostle,St. Paul to the Corinthians asks the question,"Who confers any distinction on you? Name something you have that you have not received. If then, you have received it, why are you boasting as if it were your own?" In meditation,in prayer,I am reminded to become like Christ turning myself over completely to the Father from Whom everything comes not only to me but to everyone else. Therefore peace needs to reign in my heart, and not pride or jealousy.

    ReplyDelete