Sunday, August 26, 2012

Chapter 68: The response to orders that seem impossible

If instructions are given to anyone in the community which seem too burdensome or even impossible, then the right thing is to accept the order in a spirit of uncomplaining obedience.
(From Ch. 68 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry OSB, 1997.)

Sometimes I'll struggle with a situation in which there seems to be no way out, where every possibility seems to have a million impossibilities. But I think meditation has helped me to realize that my real strength is in God, and that He is the power that will steer me through. From the saints, I have, over a lifetime, learned to ask, "Lord, what is it that you want of me?". I can sense now, that the answer to this question is recognizing the patience of a God who lets me grow up enough to hear the answer. 

1 comment:

  1. "Come to me all you who are burdened... and I will give you rest." Christ said that and I say "Where else shall I go, if not to you?" The "rest" is not complete relief from the burden or the anxiety but a turn around in attitude- a "let's rock and roll" attitude-a one step forward into the melee attitude knowing that community, others, are there to help. This "rest" is always present in the heart of meditation.

    ReplyDelete