Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Chapter 65: The prior or prioress of the monastery (paragraph 1)


It has often happened that unfortunate conflicts have arisen in monasteries as a results of the appointment of a prior or prioress as second in authority to the superior. There have been instances when some of these officials have conceived out of an evil spirit of self-importance that they also are superiors and for that reason have assumed the powers of a tyrant, so that they encourage scandalous divisions in the community. 
(From para. 1 of Ch. 65 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry OSB, 1997.)

Sometimes my ego is an tyrannical prior, encouraging scandalous division within myself, and within my circle.  Meditation integrates me, in the heart.

1 comment:

  1. Rising from my meditation seat, I take a step into daily life. What do I carry with me? Judgment,discord, conflict,pride, envy, confusion rooted in self-importance? How can this be if in the center of my being I have spent time with Him Who is peace, harmony, unity, openness, humility, gentleness and love.

    ReplyDelete