Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Chapter 55: Clothing and footwear for the community (paragraphs 1-2)


The community must not be too sensitive about the colour and quality of this clothing; they should be content with what is available in the locality at a reasonable cost. However the superior should see to it that the garments are not short and ill-fitting but appropriate to the size and build of those who wear them. 
(From para. 1 of Chap. 55 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry OSB, 1997.)

To my mind, clothing can certainly be a means of expression, but often of the false self. I'm touched by Benedict's simple and reasonable approach to clothing, with an emphasis on what is, in several senses of the word, "fitting". 

2 comments:

  1. Clothing tells you nothing about my soul but my concern about my clothing tells you volumes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In this chapter are the words,"..anything more must be taken away as superfluous". In today's Office of Readings(Thursday), Joseph said to his brothers, "Come closer to me". I look and reflect on these two statements and realize that in order to accept the invitation to come closer to the Lord the "superfluous" obstacles in my life must be taken away, removed. It is not so much what I have materially but how much thought and concern I put into them that become obstacles. I can anguish about what I don't have and think about acquiring it or what I do have and will it be enough. Before I realize it, my thoughts choke my heart and my life does not reflect my oblation of living closer to what is necessary with purity of heart.

    ReplyDelete