Saturday, August 25, 2012

Chapter 67: Those who are sent on a journey

Those who are sent on a journey should commend themselves to the prayers of all the community as well as of the superior and, at the last prayer of the work of God in the oratory, there should always be a memento of all who may be absent. 
(From Ch. 67 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry OSB, 1997.)

Whenever I sit down by myself to meditate, I begin with the prayer, "Heavenly Father, open our hearts to the silent presence of the Spirit of your Son..." By using the plural pronoun, I remind myself of my connection to all meditators around the world, some of whom I've meditated with or will meditate with, as well as all those who are meditating elsewhere now. I also feel a connection to the people whose lives will somehow be touched by the meditation of us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment