Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Chapter 1: Four approaches to monastic life

[Anchorites] have learnt well from everyday experience with the support of many others in a community how to fight against the devil.
(From para. 1 of Ch. 1 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry OSB, 1997.)

The anchorite way of life is a worthy one, in Benedict's eyes, because these monks have first been schooled in community. My "everyday experience" of a family brought together by God, is the means of learning how to overcome self-centeredness, and enter into true relationship with myself, with others, and with God. 

1 comment:

  1. It is necessary for me to live with a Rule and a practice and most importantly a community that help me to make contact with, to translate,and to make sense of the Holy in the now of everyday living. All of these elements help me find the way Home and hopefully show others the way also.

    ReplyDelete