Friday, January 25, 2013

Chapter 7: The value of humility (paragraphs 1-3)


The Word of God in scripture teaches us in clear and resounding terms that anyone who lays claim to a high position will be brought low and anyone who is modest in self-appraisal will be lifted up.
(From para. 1 of Ch. 7 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry OSB, 1997.)

Modesty in self-appraisal suggests a lightness of being to me -- a  detachment from the weight of the ego, making way for expansion of spirit.

1 comment:

  1. The previous chapter on cherishing silence and keeping a watch on my speech is the doorway for me to open into a reflection on humility. Why? Because in silence I "see" and "feel" that there is far more beyond my level of perception.
    Listening draws me away from an infatuation with the self.

    ReplyDelete