Thursday, January 10, 2013

Chapter 2: Gifts needed by an abbot or abbess (paragraph 2)


In fact they should remember that they will have to account in the awesome judgement of God both for their own teaching and also for the obedience of their disciples.
(From para. 2 of ch. 2 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry OSB, 1997.)

This morning, Benedict reminds me of the loving interdependence in community that is the hallmark of the Spirit. I'm not on this earth to save my soul alone, but to live in a way that strengthens the Body of Christ.

1 comment:

  1. My meditation and prayer life may be hidden but the fruits are to be shared with others. “Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control” (Galatians 5:22-23)are the ways I can "proclaim"
    God's "truth" and "salvation" to those around me through the Spirit of Christ.

    ReplyDelete