Monday, January 28, 2013

Chapter 7: The value of humility (paragraphs 6-7)


As to pursuing our own will we are warned against that when scripture says to us: turn away from your own desires; and in the Lord's prayer itself we pray that his will may be brought to fulfilment in us.
(From para. 6 of Ch. 7 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry OSB, 1997.)

In the patient practice of meditation, I'm coming, more and more, to understand God's "will" as God's "way". For me this means a constant turning and returning to the source of divine energy within me.

1 comment:

  1. The words of Benedict may seem archaic to our modern ears but because he uses the words of Scripture they are full to bursting when we reflect on even one phrase. "The will" of God invites,does not coerce, me into meditation. The acceptance of that invitation is the beginning of humility for me.

    ReplyDelete