Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Chapter 5: Monastic obedience (paragraph 4)


We should remember, however, that such obedience will be acceptable to God and rewarding to us, if we carry out the orders given us in a way that is not fearful, nor slow, nor half-hearted nor marred by murmuring or the sort of compliance that betrays resentment.
(From para. 4 of Ch. 5 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry OSB, 1997.)

I know from my own experience that sluggishness and resistance to life is a very human condition. But even in such a state, I can turn to my heart, and touch the source of life and selfless love.

1 comment:

  1. How can I continue in a state of inertia after opening my heart to the spirit of complete obedience of the Son to the Father in meditation? The practice of opening to love is not only internal but hopefully becomes visible in my affirmative and enthusiastic responses to life's requests.

    ReplyDelete