Friday, January 4, 2013

Prologue to the Rule (paragraph 5)


And so to prepare ourselves for the journey before us let us renew our faith and set ourselves high standards by which to lead our lives.
(From para. 5 of Prologue to the Rule of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry OSB, 1997.)

I need to interiorize "high standards" to live them out authentically. To do this, Benedict urges me to understand such standards, not in terms of apparent achievement, but in terms of humility, of true self-knowledge in Christ. 

1 comment:

  1. Act and speak in "Truth from the heart", not from the mind in intellectualisms. Truth and love become one in the heart. So from the "deep centre of my true self" where I am known and loved I become conscious of union, love, with others rather than separation. Truth and love go hand in hand in word and deed.

    ReplyDelete