Monday, March 4, 2013

Chapter 27: The superior's care for the excommunicated


Therefore the superior should use every curative skill as a wise doctor does, for instance by sending in senpectae, that is, mature and wise senior members of the community who may discreetly bring counsel to one who is in a state of uncertainty and confusion; their task will be to show the sinner the way to humble reconciliation and also to bring consolation, as St Paul also urges, to one in danger of being overwhelmed by excessive sorrow and in need of the reaffirmation of love which everyone in the community must achieve through their prayer.
(From para. 1 of Ch. 27 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry OSB, 1997.)

This teaching follows on the heels of St. Benedict's admonition not to thrust myself egocentrically into another's process of healing and growth. Through the selfless practice of meditation, the Spirit helps me to develop the love and discretion to know when and how to reaffirm another's sense of belonging in the community

2 comments:

  1. As one of the community and as one who misses the mark often in my daily living, I have twisted this reading of the rule around some. I needing the healing and help of a learned one should pay attention and seek the help from those who have the wisdom and care to nurture my journey. In one sense I receive that from our weekly meditation group. OH the power of Silence and meditation. The community offers much in the way of direction and nurturing of the souls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These passages are like a mirror of my own community either at work, with friends or that which is most intimate--the family. Anger, frustration, jealousies,judgments, lack of forgiveness --these are the kinds of "monsters" that rear their ugly heads. I want to control, change, offer solutions often looking at others instead of myself. Benedict is right. I have to step back, let go. Meditation gives me the lovely, silent space to step into the compassion of God for myself and for others.

    ReplyDelete