Saturday, March 9, 2013

Chapter 31: The qualities required by the cellarer (paragraphs 2-3)


There will, of course be appropriate times for the cellarer to hand out what is needed and for requests for goods or services to be made; these times should be observed by all so that failure to respect them may not cause any disturbance or unhappiness in the house of God.
(From para. 3 of Ch. 31 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry OSB, 1997.)

Benedict reminds me of where I'm living, "in the house of God", together with family and community. I suppose that without experiencing disturbance or unhappiness, in my house of God as it is, I wouldn't be provoked into self-knowledge and growth. This dynamic of inner/outer growth is the way the spirit expands, I believe, and kindness keeps me aware of that.

2 comments:

  1. Respect for time comes to my mind. The keeping of my regular meditation times, my commitment to leading other prayer @ church etc. Making time to do things which are not always joyful or pleasing to me, yet will be of help/benefit to others. Knowing and appreciating the time that I have been given here on this earth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Benedict instructs me to be aware of those around me as "little children". I am not to hurt, and not to lead others astray by causing distress because of my pride or presumption or desire to control. All of this takes me back to where I start, my meditation practice where I "learn" to be simple, and childlike and dependent in the Spirit of Christ before the Father.

    ReplyDelete