Friday, March 22, 2013

Chapter 43: Late-comers for the work of God or in the refectory (paragraphs 1-3)


The essential point is that nothing should be accounted more important than the work of God.
(From para. 1 of Ch. 43 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry OSB, 1997.)

The communal, external structure of praying the office together at set times, seems to me a powerful "monument" to the primacy of the work of God. But what is the work of God in my life? Meditation twice a day, certainly, and reading Scripture, and reading and reflecting on the Rule. And usually saying some part of the Office. But there are times when the "external structure" in my life feels more like chaos, moving too fast or too slow. This is when meditation teaches me that being on time for the work of God means attentiveness to the presence of God here and now.

1 comment:

  1. My times of prayer (meditation, hours, etc) keep me grounded. The morning time comes easily. The late afternoon time often shifts to accommodate the activities of daily living. The rule ever a reminder that indeed my most important task is the work that has given.

    ReplyDelete