Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Chapter 40: The proper amount of drink to be provided


St Paul says that each of us has a special gift from God, one kind for one of us and quite a different one for another.
(From para. 1 of Ch. 40 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry OSB, 1997.)

I smile when I read this opening sentence on the proper amount of drink, as I realize how filled with the spirit is this awareness of special gifts. And, how appropriate for any situation in which I'm called to be a discerning guide.

1 comment:

  1. Lent is a great time for me to be reading this chapter on the proper amount of drink but not so much for the title as for the opening line about having gifts from God that are personal. I am being given a whole new approach to this liturgical season but also to God. I have been given much and yes, it is a time to be truly mindful of moderation. It is also a time for me to be truly grateful for what has been given and to be able to share that grateful joy with others.

    ReplyDelete