Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Chapter 28: The treatment of those who relapse


If even such prayer does not bring healing, the superior must turn to the knife of amputation, following the guidance of St Paul, who told the Corinthians to banish the evil from their midst, and again he said: if the unfaithful one wishes to go, let him go, lest one diseased sheep corrupt the whole flock.
(From Ch. 28 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry OSB, 1997.)

I'm struck by Benedict's small phrase, "let him go", rather than something harsher, such as, "cast him out".  It seems to me that, in spite of his severe exhortations, he will not allow himself to become exclusive, but remains respectful of personal freedom and the potential for transformation.

2 comments:

  1. It is in times like these when I have to let go. Witnessing a divorce, the near-destruction of a family, the hurtful attitudes, the repeated attempts of others to help to no avail, I realize that this is something that cannot be fixed in a day or a year or years. I pray that the Holy Spirit will watch over those separated and bring healing in ways I do not see. My meditation practice helps me to release those feelings which can be barriers to love and forgiveness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Benedict asks for prayer when other methods have failed to correct failings. His recommendation to let one go if that is the desire speaks to me is several ways. Turning the chapter to myself as the one who needs to change and looking at my short comings I see that prayer is of prime importance to that process. The silence of our prayer leaves space for healing. If I can not resolve the broken ways then I must evaluate my relationships and community.

    ReplyDelete